Calling All Science Teachers & Technicians…
We understand the importance of broadening skills for technicians in the school science laboratory. Our 'ASE Green Tick Evaluated' workshops will equip you with experiment ideas and how to prepare equipment safely and efficiently in your classroom. We are running several workshops throughout 2019 across the UK, beginning with DNA Fingerprinting using PCR and Gel Electrophoresis. We would love you to join us for a light lunch and a hands-on practical session, demonstrating the preparation of products right through to analysis and results.
DNA Fingerprinting using PCR and Gel Electrophoresis
Description: Hands-on practical session involving preparing agarose gels. Allowing the gel to set in the casting tray. Discussing theory on PCR then preparing the samples. Running the samples through the PCR machine. Using amplified DNA to separate bands in the electrophoresis tank. Staining the gels after electrophoresis using methylene blue. Analysing results.
DATE: Friday 14th June
VENUE: Sacred Heart Catholic Secondary, Redcar, TS10 1PJ
11:00am - 11:30am Registration, Tea/Coffee
11:30am - 13:00pm DNA Fingerprinting Hands-on Practical Session
13:00pm - 14:00pm Lunch and Networking
- Preparing agarose gels in casting trays.
- Preparing PCR samples using adjustable micropipettes to measure accurately correct volumes of DNA, TAQ enzyme, and Primer.
- Showing how to use the PCR machine.
- Running amplified DNA through gel electrophoresis tank.
- Staining gels using methylene blue.
- Analysing results.
- Discussing and understanding the theory of PCR and gel electrophoresis.
- Demonstrating how easy it is to incorporate this into a science practical lesson.
Description: A Hands-on practical session where you can try out activities and experiments which benefit from visual enhancement. This will include ideas and activities for Chemistry Physics and Biology. You will have the opportunity to try out the experiments and how to enhance them with the use of visualisers.
NEW DATES COMING SOON!
- To give you the opportunity to evaluate the use of visualisers in the classroom, discover a range of experiments and understand how visualisers can enhance teaching and learning in your class.
- Ideas to show your students what happens at the cathode and the anode in electrolysis and the net effect on pH.
- Growing crystals and micro-displacement reactions under magnification.
- Use of microscope and visualizer to show Brownian motion.
- Measuring the heart rate of Daphnia, the effect of different substances on the heart rate trying out techniques for filming and counting heart rate.
- Measuring cells using eyepiece graticules and stage micrometres, and along the way looking at the effects of Cell Osmosis.
As well as getting new ideas to take back to lessons, you will be able to confidently understand use and visualizers to assist teaching
INTERESTED IN HOSTING A WORKSHOP AT YOUR SCHOOL?
PLEASE NOTE: Spaces are limited and therefore, will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis.